.

Welcome to My HO Model Railroad Blog

Rivarossi Cab Forward Dual Motor Project

I cruise E-Bay several times every day looking for Rivarossi articulated engines and parts.  A couple of weeks ago I saw a listing for a Rivarossi Cab Forward with two motors, that caught my eye.  It was very interesting, the seller had removed the Rivarossi motor and installed two Canon EN22 motors.  

When I was online purchasing electronic parts from BGMicro two years ago I happened to see the Canon EN22 motors listed for $1.19.  I bought 20 of them and I have just enough left to do the dual motor thing, now I wish I had bought 40 of them.


I have replaced all of the motors in my Rivarossi fleet over the last two years with either a Faulhaber 2224SR or the Canon EN22 motors.  I have 6 with the 2224SR and 7 with the EN22.  The 2224SR has Neodymium Magnets and it's very powerful.  The EN22 is more powerful than the Rivarossi motor but does not have the power of the 2224SR.  

I decided to try the dual EN22 in one of my Cab Forwards.  It was rather a simple task, shave 4mm from the frame so that the shafts will line up and add a universal joint.  It really worked out very good, it eliminated all of the "Rivarossi Wobble" and increased the pulling power.  

Next I decided to add a second motor to one of my kitbashed AC-9s, they were Cab Forwards before I modified them.  My Project Pages have a post on my Kitbash AC-10 to AC-9.

Last year I made a mold from fire brick mortar to make 8 ounce weights that fit into the top of the Rivarossi Cab Forward boilers.  That has a tendency to make a single EN22 motor run rather warm after a long run.  But with two motors they both run cool to the touch.

The two pictures below are what the chassis of the AC-9 looked like before the two motor modification. 




The next picture is what it looks like dissembled.


The Canon EN22 on the rear of the frame is glued in place with Goop.  I will cut away 4mm of the frame between the two lines in the center of the frame and glue in the second motor.

I used my Rotozip with a metal cutoff disk to rough cut the 4mm indention in the frame then finished it off with my bench grinder and 8" metal file.  


I made a holder from a piece of 1" x 2" for the frame casting to prevent it from breaking during the removal process.  After the 4mm is removed there is only 2.5mm of the frame left.



The Canon EN22 dropped in very easy.  The motor appears to be angled upward but it is glued to the metal frame laying flat and angled to the side.  

The Goop glue works very good as an adhesive, it absorbs motor noise and vibration too.  Goop is very very strong glue, it's super messy to use but it's one of the best that I have ever used on many projects.  It is the only glue that have used that will hold 100% on Delrin plastic.  The only downside to Goop is it's setup and drying time, it takes about an hour to become semi hard and 24 hours for maximum strength.  On many things it holds better than Superglue.
 


I test ran it for an hour before proclaiming it a done deal.  I still have to rewire the engine for DCC and install the trailing trucks.  I bought Precision Scale 31554 brass trailing trucks for my AC-9s.

The bottom line of this dual motor project is that all of my dual motor Rivarossi articulateds are now outstanding locomotives weighing in at just under 2 pounds with the added 10 ounce weight.  I would put any one of them up against any high end locomotive for pulling power and their smooth slow speed operation, they are now magnificent HO locomotives!



Posted by Picasa