.

Welcome to My HO Model Railroad Blog

Rivarossi Cab Forward Motor replacement and DCC Wiring Up Date November 5, 2019

I recently found a replacement for the Canon EN-22 series motor.  The Mabuchi SF-266SA motor is an excellent replacement for the EN-22.



The SF-266SA is readily available on eBay with very good pricing.

 The upper frame in the picture above is a Rivarossi Cab Forward kitbashed into an SP AC-9 with a Mel brass frame and a pair of Canon EN-22 motors.

The frame below the AC-9 is a Rivarossi Cab Forward that I removed the two Canon EN-22 motors and installed a pair of Mabuchi SF-266Sa motors.



The lower frame is a Rivarossi Cab Forward with a Philips 9904 motor using a standard Rivarossi frame.  The Philips 9904 is 9500 RPM so I geared it down to 6000 RPM with a pair of 3:2 gears, very powerful motor.



It's much easier to install the 8 pin NMRA connector with the Monkey Deck floor removed.

Notice the black wire, I added it from the driver assembly frame to the main frame to enhance conductivity.  It is 24AGW Flexible Silicone wire.

While replacing the EN-22 motors with the SF-266SA motors on the Cab Forward I also upgraded the number board lighting and marker lamps to LEDs.

This is a corrected drawing of the LED wiring for my DCC Ready Cab Forward.

The Number Boards are wired directly to track power through a DB107 Bridge Rectifier.  The number boards come on with the track power.  The Marker Lamps are controlled by a function switch on the DCC Controller.  The lighting will work on DC using a DCC Decoder Dummy Plug.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for posting your remotoring efforts with the Rivarossi Cab Forwards. I too am a fan of these engines and have been collecting parts and clunkers for future projects, I was disappointed when I could not find any more EN22 motors, but this update and the previous one both save the day! Thanks again, I really appreciate all the information you share.

Anonymous said...

I think rental cars have nothing to do with converting a train over to dc