.

Welcome to My HO Model Railroad Blog

October 2, 2020 Woodland Scenics Aermotor Windmill

 I like seeing things move on my layout so I'm adding a Woodland Sciences Aermotor Windmill.  It came in kit form made of cast metal and while I normally don't like to bad mouth products this kit left me with a bitter taste.  All of the castings except the fan were badly bent out of the box.  It is definitely not a beginners kit.  I managed to clean up the bent pieces and used super glue to assemble the parts.  And I ended up overall with a pretty nice looking windmill.


The base is three layers of .03" Styrene sheet stock staggered in size to create uneven ground.  I used WS scenery flocking for the ground cover.

I used a small 12 volt 6000 RPM motor and robotic gears to turn the fan, the gear ratio is approximately 50:1.  With the voltage set to 10 volts the fan turns at about 100RPM and looks pretty realistic to me.

 




No comments: