.

Welcome to My HO Model Railroad Blog

January 6, 2019 Scratch Built Sears Catalog Home

I have built a scratch built home for all of our children for my layout including one for my wife and I.  This house is Larry's house, he is a Public Works Director in New Mexico.  Before he became a PWD he was the local SP Yard Superintendent on my layout.  Each one of our children have a position on my layout as well as a home.  My wife and I are retired and live in a bungalow at the end of Red Canyon Road.
 
This is a delayed posting.  I made an HO scale scratch build from the plans on Antique Home Style web page back in 2012 for Larry.

I did a CAD drawing and reduced it to HO 1:87 scale then made paper templates to cut the pieces for the walls and roof.





This is my drawing of the floor plan glued to a HO scale size piece of 3/16" sheet Basswood.



The following pictures show the construction of the house back in 2012, I will only add text to the pictures that need it.





I make my own corner post, it's easier than ordering them.












Bottom view of the first floor
















Here the brick foundation has been painted.

 






The finished house and garage sitting in place on it's module.
 


 

When I rewired the house and garage for the Arduino Random Lighting Controller I went with ⅛" X ⅜" Neodymium magnets to hold them in place on the module.  They really snap into place.
 

I recessed the garage magnets.
 


The house has 16 lights and the garage has 4.  All 20 lights come on and go off randomly.  The Random Light Controller makes it look lived in.


Removing the roof to revamp the lighting wasn't an easy task!  As expected I dinged several walls but I was able to repair the damage where it isn't noticeable.

The Random Lighting Controllers are well worth the time and cost for the great lighting effect. 

No comments: