.

Welcome to My HO Model Railroad Blog

April , 2017 Wireless Camera Car


Well when I took on this project I didn't expect it to be without problems.  This has been the most problematic project I've ever attempted.  Very little has gone right form the get-go.  The only thing that has gone without a hitch is my design concept and drawing.

My original concept seemed easy once I saw the specifications on the MD81S Wi-Fi Camcorder.  It is very small, self contained camcorder using a 32gb SD memory card for storing the video using a Wi-Fi link to an Android View Finder all powered from an internal Lithium-ion battery.  The camera specifications state it will record and store 90 minutes of video in AVI format,

I plan on using the Wi-Fi to connect to an RCA 7" Android mounted on my control panel as a viewfinder for the camera in record mode.  I figured that I could pan the camera 180° remotely with a small SG90 micro servo using an Arduino Nano with a Blue-Tooth module.

I rarely give up on a difficult project but this one has taxed my patience to the max.  I went through three MD81S cameras before giving up on that camera.  When three out of three don't work out of the box it's time to move on.

I haven't done much better with the Q7 WiFi camcorder either, the first two were duds too.  The third works but not as advertised, but I guess you don't get very much for under $20 for a "HD" camera.  That is the first error in their advertising, it is far from HD.  The second thing that doesn't meet their advertising adds is the operation time on the built in battery.  In the non WiFi mode it's a real stretch to obtain 60 minutes, they advertise 90 minutes record time.  In the WiFi mode max time is between 12 and 15 minutes, with the builtin LED lighting turned on the camera shuts down in 8 minutes.

The camera problems have taken its tole on my project.  Because of the high camera current I have to power it from the flat car.  I installed a two cell AA size ,battery holder to power the servo and Arduino Nano Blue Tooth receiver.  I found some AA size 1000 mah Lithium batteries to power the electronics in the flat car.  The Arduino package draws 90ma and the servo runs between 80ma and 110ma.  Now I have to figure on another 150ma to power the Q7 camera.

I bought a two sell Lithium battery charger module and it plugs on to the battery holder.  The charger can be powered from the rails to keep the batteries charged.










No comments: