.

Welcome to My HO Model Railroad Blog

January 19, 2016 Slow Time after the Hollidays

My Christmas gift this year was a 36" by 11 foot backdrop.  With the help of my wife and grandson we managed to mount it on some ¾" thick foam board.  I picked up two sheets of ¾" x 4' x 8' sheets from my local big box store along with a can of 3M spray adhesive.  we trimmed them to 36" x 8' and pieced them together to make a 1½" x 36" x 11' mounting board.  We used some 4" wide aluminum insulating tape to seal the seams.  Then glued the backdrop to the foam board.  The entire mounting board with the backdrop weighs less then 5 pounds and is pretty sturdy.



It's temporarily propped up next to my layout and as you can tell I have a lot of work to do before it's finished.  I need to raise it at least 12" and to do that I'll need to make a filler behind my trestle.

I took a closeup picture (8½" W x 14" L) of the left side to splice into the area behind the trestle.


I printed out five 8½" x 14" pictures to piece together as a fill across the 38" gap behind my trestle.  After a bit of experimenting the trees in my pictures ended up the same size as the trees on the backdrop.  I tweaked the color of the trees to match the backdrop trees.


No comments: